Tuesday, May 29, 2007

29 May 2007: Dog Days?


Man it's simply too early in the game for the days to start dragging by. Dog days of summer aren't supposed to be until the last few weeks of the season. Today was a slow, tortuous, and mundane episode of repititious activities. Every workday we have two meetings - one at 0900 and another at 1700. It's rare that information changes in the time between meetings so they are always repeats. However, they represent the "work whistles" of a day not on mission. At 0900 we start the grind. 1700 the whistle blows again and we go back to our hooches, off to chow, head to the gym, or whatever else seems like a good way to start the evening. I can't express how thankful I am that this "Groundhog Day" grind is only temporary. My team and I will be getting back into action real soon.

There was no real highlight of the day. I considered going to the Sustainer Theater to see "Shrek the Third". However, based on the reviews from my team I decided not to waste my time. That meant I wasted my time playing Zuma for awhile. I also made a trip over to the west side to buy a few things at the PX. Just like the last time I drove over there I had to wait for quite some time for a convoy to clear the road.

This was definitely a day I was daydreaming of home. I'm sure the rest of my team was doing the same thing. We're all eager to get back out to the FOBs and start helping the warfighters again. That's what we're here for. Knowing that makes slow days even slower. It's all temporary though. Thank God!

No comments: