Monday, May 14, 2007

14 May 2007: Hot and getting hotter...


To say it's hot around here is an understatement. Anyone who's deployed here before knows exactly what I'm talking about. It's only May but the temperatures are already soaring above 110. By July it will be so hot outside that you can only work for short stretches at a time (try 15 minutes or so). If you'd really like to understand what it's like I have a suggestion that will provide some level of example. Turn your oven on broil. Let it heat for at least 15 minutes. Then open the door and stick your head right outside the opening. That blistering heat you feel radiating on your face is the type of heat that encompasses your entire body around here. It's staggering. Temperatures of 135 or more are not unheard of. It was hot today. According to the LSAA webpage it reached 115. I'll be longing for that cool a temperature come July.

Fortunately, I didn't need to be outside much today. This may have been one of the most boring days yet. We're just marking time waiting for the next mission. I thought about taking the opportunity to get out and about LSAA looking for some good blog material. The heat changed my mind. I'm fine in my office thank you. Besides, it's when I'm not looking for good material that I find something good.

This country is full of good material. You'll know about it when I find it.

No comments: