Tuesday, April 3, 2007

03 April 2007: Balad Idol, part 2

Clarification on the contest is as follows: this is NOT a karaoke event and it's not settled in one night. Every performer had to know their song. That meant either the background instrumentals were provided or a person could play their own instruments. Ok, that being said let me give a report on the contest. Their were 12 contestants. Every performer was enlisted except me. They were about equally split between Army and Air Force. Songs ranged from sickening country to sappy love ballads to more upbeat alternative. Two contestants sang together while playing guitars. Everyone got one song. There were three judges. How did it turn out? Exactly as planned. Just as I expected, most of the singers either weren't very good, chose terrible songs, or simply had no stage presence. All it took from me was one stirring rendition on "TNT". There were around 500 in attendance and every one of them were chanting "Oy! Oy! Oy!" Mine was the only performance that received a standing ovation. The judges were putty in my hands. What did this get me? I advanced to the next round. That's in exactly 2-weeks.

What everyone didn't know is that I'll most likely be out on mission then. Anybody who retains the memory of the crazy LTC singing TNT in their brain-housing group will be disappointed when they come to the next round looking for me. However, I am an American soldier and I will always place the mission first. Balad Idol will have to wait.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hang on just a sec, cowboy...you can't miss the next installment of Idol! What's more important here, the mission or your public???