Tuesday, April 24, 2007

23 April 2007: The Return of Balad Idol

Before I get into today's update I need to clarify something about yesterday's blog. It seems one of you decided to send me an e-mail scolding me about my knowledge of history. Specifically, the e-mail was directed at my clarification of how LTC Onishi actually died (as opposed to what was depicted in "Letters From Iwo Jima"). Look smarty pants, you obviously did not see the movie so don't make assumptions. In the movie, LTC Onishi does not commit Seppuku (frequently, and erroneously, referred to as "Hari Kari"). When I said he commits suicide I mean just that. He takes off his boots and uses his big toe to pull the trigger on a rifle aimed at his head. There was no hint of Samurai or Bushido Code. So when I stated that the movie relegates him to a less than respectable way to die I meant it. See my previous post to see how LTC Onishi actually died. Not only was it more honorable, it would have made for better drama. A more appropriate title for the movie would be "The Bridges of Madison County Lead to Iwo Jima".

So what's up with the title of today's blog? As fate would have it, I've not seen the last of Balad Idol. I stopped by the AF MWR to see what was up. While there I encountered the AF Lieutenant in charge of the Balad Idol competition. She is also one of the judges. Although I missed round two she invited me to return for the final. Apparently she and the other judges agreed that they wanted me to participate. The big final is Tuesday night. I have no idea what I'll sing. I'll be there though. By the time most of you read this I'll be in the competition. Will I be the next Balad Idol? Hell I don't even know what the prize would be. Perhaps a recording contract with Sony? Uh... shit I hope not. Maybe just a write up in the Anaconda Times would suffice.

My day was an uneventful, typical work day. I've got my team gearing up for another mission. We've also got some soldiers coming to Balad that we'll be training later this week. For now we're just chillin' like Bob Dillon. Chillin' is hard to do with the temperature climbing. I'm having to use the AC in my humvee these days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just call me "Pants" for short.

Renee said...

Dear Sam, I think you should perform Billy Ray Cyrus'Achy Breaky Heart for all your hillbilly relatives. Now that is a show I'd fly all the way to Iraq just to see! Love, Renee
P.S. I know there isn't a chance in Hades that you'll do this but if you did I'm sure you'd win the Grand Prize! lol