Wednesday, April 11, 2007

11 April 2007: Speicher? More like Spackle




FOB Speicher is located near the city of Tikrit (if you'd like to check the map). In the distance you can see the rolling hills to the north that eventually lead to Kurdish cities like Kirkuk. The climate becomes more temperate as you head north. For the most part, the land around Speicher reminds me of central Texas. With the temperate climate comes rain. This morning I stepped out to see very threatening skies. Magnificent streaks of lightning arched from horizon to horizon, followed by rumbling thunder. Unfortunately, the heavens let loose shortly after that and didn't let up for most of the day. I won't make another lengthy foray into describing Iraqi mud. However, Speicher is a very dusty place due to the large amount of construction, vehicle traffic, and foot traffic. Rain simply turned this entire FOB into a sea of mud. So now everywhere I walk my boots are immediately covered in spackle-like mud. For now FOB Speicher has been transformed into FOB Spackle.

My team completed round one of training despite the rain. We had to do a lot of our events outdoors. I really don't mind being outside on a hot, sunny day. This rain and mud made for a virtual suckfest. I hope it's sunny tomorrow. There's too much already here that makes for misery so the rain can wait. Too late for today though - it's a wash.

In remembrance today of my older brother Tom. It was on this day 14 years ago that you answered the Lord's call to heaven. I know you're still there looking down and laughing at me and my follies. There's not a day that goes by that I don't miss you brother. We'll have eternity to share and I know you'll be waiting on me there.

No comments: