Sunday, April 8, 2007

08 April 2007: Happy Easter from FOB Speicher


I woke up early this morning and ventured out to see what was obscured by darkness last night. This place is a hazy, dusty, and rather barren looking FOB. It's a big base - I mentioned that this was once the Iraqi Air Force Academy. There are a lot of dreary, tan-brick buildings and refrigerated bunkers from the old complex. The building I'm in appears to have been a one -story barracks. It's been renovated slightly but still has a very draconian appearance. There's a medevac helo-pad very close to my temporary billet. There's been a few arrivals during the course of the day. It's Easter. Most everyone is off today. The main DFAC is decked with Easter decorations and the chow reflects what you might expect back home. I loitered at lunch to people watch. It's funny to see how many "hook-ups" are going on at every FOB. You can always tell when the male and female soldier come walking in and sit together. They're trying to be all cool but you know that somebody has found themselves a hooch-bunny. I want to explain more but right now I'm on a time limit and there's a long line of soldiers waiting to get online to send Easter e-mail.

I think Avian flu is making it's way around here. I've already seen a dead pigeon and another that was just sitting on the ground rather dazed and confused. I thought it was nesting but it wasn't. Photos you say? Don't worry, I'm taking a few and will be making sure the blog is festooned with them once I get them downloaded.

A rather bland posting today I know.... I've got some humor forming up in the brain-housing group and will introduce some of my "soon to be regular" funnies later this week. Stay tuned. Happy Easter!!

3 comments:

megs said...

"I woke up early in the morning...." I'm sorry, I don't know what that means.
Days without beer: 1/2

megs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Naomi said...

"Life is not the wick or the candle - it is the burning" Anon