Monday, April 16, 2007

16 April 2007: Some days are just....


...mundane. That's the word that sums it up. Today was one (obviously so or it wouldn't be the topic). Where can I express a highlight in a day where nothing was out of the ordinary? I can't really. Breakfast? Just my normal bacon, scrambled eggs, hashbrown, and wheat toast. Ok, that made me think of something generic to any day, any FOB. Long gone are the days of "Cookie" the mess sergeant and the cliche, bland Army mess hall (such as what you'd find in "Beetle Bailey" or an old, black and white war flick). Today's DFACs are run by KBR and offer an incredible abundance of great chow. I'll go into more depth on our menus in a later blog. Over here the DFACs are staffed by TCNs (Third Country Nationals - normally Pakistanis). They do a great job and are very courteous. However, they have no concept on what a normal-size serving of bacon would be. So at breakfast if you ask for bacon don't be surprised if your plate comes back with a mound of bacon equivalent to what would satiate five men. That's what I got again this morning. It's a good thing I like bacon. In addition to the normal chow I took care of my coffee fix.

The major event was the next iteration of training. My team taught classes all morning on the equipment redeployment process. We had a full house - upwards of 70 soldiers from various units. What I love about this is that these soldiers are eager to learn what we're teaching because it eases the process of their eventual redeployment. My team rocks at sharing this knowledge. I can't express how proud I am to be in charge of this. We're the only team like this in country. I'd love to get more specific but can't in this venue. It was a very successful training day. Perhaps that's the highlight?

If I'm speaking on just a "from my perspective" point of view then I wouldn't say that training was the highlight. It was just another day at the office. We did have a Captain from one of the Mobile Public Affairs Detachments observe our training and conduct some interviews. She'll most likely publish this into an article in the monthly magazing her MPAD publishes. I'll certainly make the attempt to get a copy. I can't say that was the highlight either.

My routine always includes a trip to the gym. The FOB Warrior gym (Bastogne Fitness Center) is well equipped. It's never a problem to work up a good sweat with first-rate equipment. I attacked my workout with a purpose. Those of you who know me understand that I don't fool around in the gym. Yet it was just another aspect of a routine day.

How about supper? Chili, ribs, shredded chicken, coleslaw, buttered corn, iced tea, and ice cream... How in the world I didn't need alka-selzer after all that escapes me! You know what? I give up! It was just a mundane, normal day. I didn't even see any good grafitti today (I think they keep repainting the walls in the shitters around here). Ok here's a highlight - the rain stopped and sunny skies have arrived. It's really quite pleasant here in Kirkuk.

No comments: