Friday, April 27, 2007

26 April 2007: Mark your calender for the Victory Celebration!


That is if you are an insurgent. Unfortunately I am delving back into subject matter that I wish to avoid. Yet it's events back home that are forcing my hand. I'm not drawing party lines here. All I'm doing is writing from the perspective of the men and women in uniform. With that in mind I'll say up front - today the news from home was as demoralizing as news can be. Our House of Representatives has cast a vote of "no confidence" in the troops and thrown in the white towel.


If you aren't up on current events don't fret. I'm not either. However I do stay up on matters that affect me and my fellow soldiers. The time is long past to debate the reasons we're in this war. What needs to be discussed is how to win. Want to know how to lose? The House of Representatives just voted a textbook course of action for losing. I'm sure by the time you read this the Senate will have done likewise. A forced timetable, especially of the type passed by the house, is guaranteeing two things: 1) Proper training of Iraqi Army, Police, Internal Security, etc will not be completed which will leave the country dangerously vulnerable to internal AND external threats; 2) the insurgency will thrive and be emboldened in simply knowing they can mark a date on their calender upon which the very threat to their existence will be gone. In the meantime, men and women in uniform will have to serve out their remaining time in country knowing that their mission is doomed. The message was very loud and clear yesterday. The House said very succinctly, "Insurgents win, we lose, fuck Iraq!" Then, of course, Nancy Pelosi chose to throw in the "our troops and their families deserve better" to make it sound good. Fuck I think I'm going to be sick.


Every insurgent in Iraq should have a picture of Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid on their wall in places of honor. Those two are the most powerful friends and allies of their cause. They prove it every day just by opening their mouth. They also have short-term memory loss that greatly affects their actions. For example, back in 2005 Harry Reid spoke on the Senate floor about the dangers of a timeline, citing all the common sense arguments that I just highlighted above. No matter, true colors always come shining through. Unfortunately the pot of gold at the end of this rainbow belongs squarely in the hands of our enemy.


If nothing prevents the House bill from passing we are guaranteed to be back in Iraq again ten years from now. How does that sound everyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i miss you dad... for real :( but love you lots

Unknown said...

You get an AMEN from my corner on this one.