Thursday, April 12, 2007

12 April 2007: All Quiet in the North


Ah... do you hear that? I don't either. COB Speicher is quiet, calm, and devoid of any sounds that may suggest there's a war on. Occassionally, there's a test-fire of weapons in the distance. This happens anytime a convoy leaves the wire. Other than that? It's very quiet in the north. I say this because it's been six nights and I don't recall there being a single mortar attack. Back in LSAA we had at least one or two a day. The irony is that LSAA is a big logistics base while COB Speicher is home to hard-core infantry types. I'm really not complaining, just explaining. Soldiers here sleep comfortably without interruption.

Today my team taught another formal set of classes to a fresh set of soldiers. We also inspected some equipment and containers. The weather is much improved. Although we were contending with the "Speicher spackle" yesterday, things have dried out rather quickly. That's a relief. Overall? A good day was had by all. After a workout I had a good supper. The menu included beef lasagna. Although the pasta wasn't al dente, the lasagna kicked ass. If only I had a good merlot to accompany the meal. A couple of my soldiers and I then went to the MWR and watched "Night at the Museum". I'd not seen the movie before and enjoyed it very much. It helps that I love the NYC Museum of Natural History. Yeah... it was a mundane, uneventful day. We'll get back at it tomorrow.

Now here's a question a lot of soldiers (including me) would like answered. Why the fuck are we still getting barraged with Anna Nicole Smith news? She was a shitty actress, a flaky fake blonde, and sexy only to the most brain-dead male. Enough already!! Now we're going to be hearing about Don Imus for the next three months. As far as we're concerned? Just show us sports on AFN. Thank god the NFL draft is around the corner, baseball is in season, and we have the ability to change the channel if need be.

All for today... I will be adding photos to several of these entries once we're back at LSAA.

1 comment:

Naomi said...

I agree. This constant diet of Anna and Imus is becoming a real drag. But it sells! Like the tabloids at the grocery store check out.

Good to hear "alls quiet".